Impacted Wisdom Teeth Removal Treatment Specialist in Dallas, TX
When your wisdom teeth are impacted, several issues can arise that can compromise your oral health as well as interfere with your quality of life. Our board-certified dentists at Beyond Dental & Implant Center offer treatments for impacted wisdom teeth. Contact us for more information or request an appointment online. Visit us at 13655 Preston Rd Suite 100 Dallas, TX 75240 near you today!
Table of Contents:
Your wisdom teeth are the last of your adult teeth to erupt. While most of your adult teeth are in by the age of 13, wisdom teeth come in during your late teens to early 20s. Also called the third molars, the wisdom teeth are the teeth most likely to become impacted, causing significant issues. At Beyond Dental and Implant Center, we can treat your impacted wisdom teeth to restore your oral health and improve your quality of life.
Thousands of years ago, wisdom teeth were a very important feature of the mouth. Before the invention of cooking, the third molar played a crucial role in breaking down the variety of course foods that made up the human diet. With cooking, foods were softened, and the wisdom teeth lost their importance. As time when on, the human jaw began to shrink, yet the wisdom teeth continue to develop.
Impacted wisdom teeth are those that cannot properly erupt or cannot erupt at all, through the gums. This can occur for some different reasons, including:
• Insufficient space in the arch.
• A growth in the bone or soft tissue is blocking the path of the tooth.
• The wisdom teeth are growing at an angle.
When your wisdom teeth are impacted, several issues can arise that can compromise your oral health as well as interfere with your quality of life. Issues caused by wisdom tooth impaction include:
• Overcrowding. As wisdom teeth try to grow in, they can force your other teeth out of alignment, which eventually leads to overcrowding. Overcrowding not only affects your smile, but it can also lead to bruxism and TMJ disorder.
• Infections. A partially erupted wisdom tooth can be difficult to clean thoroughly, which can lead to a localized infection.
• Cysts. A cyst is a fluid or semi-fluid-filled sac that sometimes forms as a result of an impacted tooth or an infection. While benign, cysts can continue to grow larger, which can result in bone loss. If the cyst grows too large, a bone graft may be needed following removal.
• Damage to adjacent teeth. Wisdom teeth growing toward your other teeth can grow into these teeth, which can lead to cracks and other damage. This damage can lead to infections and the need for extractions.
If you are experiencing pain in the back of your jaw, it is important to make an appointment as soon as possible. To diagnose impacted wisdom teeth, we perform an oral exam. We check over your mouth, check your teeth for signs of damage, and scan your gums for signs of infection. Dental X-rays are also taken. These images allow us to see how your wisdom teeth are growing if there are any cysts, and if any damage has been done to your jawbone. Once we have determined your wisdom teeth are impacted, we can then formulate a treatment plan.
The best way to deal with impacted wisdom teeth is to extract them. There are two types of extractions, simple and surgical. Wisdom teeth are often removed with a surgical extraction. Typically done under a local anesthetic, we begin with small incisions in your gums, exposing the wisdom teeth and the bone surrounding them. We then work to remove the wisdom teeth, removing any blockages in the way. In some cases, the wisdom teeth may need to be sectioned and removed in pieces. Once the teeth have been removed, the sockets are cleaned, and your gums are sutured closed. The wisdom teeth do not need to be replaced.
Extracting your wisdom teeth can eliminate discomfort and significantly improve your quality of life. If you suspect your wisdom teeth are impacted, call Beyond Dental and Implant Center today to schedule your appointment. We serve patients from Dallas TX, Plano TX, Addison TX, Garland TX, Richardson TX, Carrollton TX, and BEYOND!
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Dental Implant
▸ Cosmetic Dentistry
▸ Restorative Dentistry
▸ Family Dentistry
▸ Smile Makeovers
▸ Clear Braces
▸ Sleep Apnea Treatment
▸ Tongue Tie Surgery
▸ Neuromuscular Orthodontics
▸ All-On-4 Treatment Concept
▸ Lip Tie Surgery
▸ Zygomatic Implants
▸ Pterygoid Implants
▸ Neuromuscular Dentistry
▸ Gum Graft Treatment