Beyond Dental and Implant Center
Sport Guards at Beyond Dental and Implant Center Dentistry in Texas
Sports provide an excellent outlet for staying in shape and having fun. However, some sports come with a risk of injury. These injuries may also include facial injuries, such as soft tissue lacerations, bone injuries, and injuries to your teeth. Protecting yourself while playing sports is crucial. Wearing the right padding, such as shin guards and a helmet are essential. You should also be taking measures to protect your mouth. At Beyond Dental and Implant Center, we can help you with a sport guard.
What is a Sport Guard?
A sport guard is a piece of protective equipment that is worn over your teeth. It is made to protect your teeth, as well as your intraoral tissues and your jaw, from injuries while you are playing different types of sports. It can protect in the event of such events as falls while playing, making contact with another player, or getting hit with a ball or other piece of equipment.
Types of Sport Guards
There are a few different types of sports guards available. These include:
- Stock sport guards. This type of sport guard can be found at most sporting goods stores and is the most affordable option. However, stock sport guards are pre-molded. This means that they may not fit your mouth properly, which can increase your risk for injuries. An ill-fitting sport guard can also interfere with breathing.
- Boil and bite sport guards. These sport guards are also found at many sporting goods stores. They are made to be dropped in boiling water for a few minutes to soften the material. After being boiled, you then bite into the sport guard, which helps to create a semi-custom fit. This process can be done multiple times in case a comfortable fit is not created the first time.
- Custom sport guards. A custom sport guard is one that is professionally created. We can make a sport guard specifically for you based on digital impressions of your mouth. These impressions help to ensure an accurate, comfortable fit. While they cost more than stock and boil and bite guards, they are made from the highest quality materials that provide the greatest protection.
Benefits of a Sport Guard
Sport guards provide several significant benefits.
- Your teeth are protected from injuries such as cracks, chips, displacement, and avulsion.
- Your intraoral tissues are protected from lacerations, which prevents injuries to nerves, blood vessels, and salivary glands and ducts.
- Fractures in your jaw are prevented.
- Your risk for concussion is greatly reduced.
- You save money. By preventing serious oral injuries, you prevent the need for significant, expensive, dental work.
Proper Care for Your Sport Guard
For your sport guard to last, and for it to continue providing you with optimal protection, it is important that you care for it properly. The sport guard should be rinsed off before and after each use. It should also periodically be cleaned with soap and water or a toothbrush and toothpaste.
When your sport guard is not in use, it should be stored in a hard, protective case with ventilation holes. The holes ensure proper airflow, which prevents bacterial growth. Make sure that your sport guard is stored in a safe place away from young children and pets. Do not leave your sport guard exposed to high heat or direct sunlight, as these can both damage your sport guard and render it less effective. Check your sport guard regularly for signs of damage. If you notice any damage, no matter how minor, it is important that it be replaced immediately.
A properly fitting sport guard is essential for protecting your mouth, including your intraoral tissues, your jawbone, and your teeth. Call Beyond Dental and Implant Center today for more information and to schedule your appointment for your custom sport guard.