General Dentistry Questions and Answers
Your smile matters and Beyond Dental & Implant Center provides high quality, whole body, airway-focused dentistry for the whole family! Dr. Cory Nguyen, our double board-certified dental implant and sleep dentistry doctor, provides personalized treatment plans specific to your needs. We proudly serve the DFW metroplex community and beyond. Call us today for more information or book an appointment online. We are accepting new patients in North Fort Worth TX, and Dallas TX.
What is a general dentist?
A general dentist provides dental care to patients of all ages, focusing on not just oral health and dental hygiene, but also the prevention of oral diseases. General dentists make up roughly 80% of the dentists practicing in North America. The other 20% are specialists who focus on specific aspects of the larger dental practice.
What does general dentistry include?
General dentistry includes thorough examinations of the teeth, gums and mouth on a regular, ongoing basis. An exam will typical be followed by a dental cleaning and the dentist will have a conversation with you about your dental health as well as your overall health to determine any factors that might affect your dental health. General dentistry includes preventative services to ensure any oral health issues are caught early on. This is typically done through the dental examination, as well as x-rays. Having your teeth professionally cleaned by a general dentist will help prevent future oral issues as well. General dentistry also includes recommending preventative treatments such as sealants and custom fit mouthguards. General dentistry isn’t just limited to preventative services, it includes restorative treatments such as fillings, tooth pain, gum disease and other services depending on their training. Always check with your dentist on the services they are able to provide at their office.
What procedures do general dentists perform?
General dentists are able to perform many procedures in their office without having to refer the patient to a specialist. These services can include the removal of tooth decay and applying a filling to a tooth, replacement of missing teeth through crowns or bridges, fitting dentures, teeth whitening, porcelain veneers and cosmetic bonding. Some general dentists are able to perform advanced treatments themselves, such as dental implants, orthodontics and root canals. If you are unsure what procedures your dentist is able to perform, check their website for the services they offer or ask your hygienist or the receptionist, and the dentist themselves, on your next visit to the office.
Here is a highlight of some of the important procedures a general dentist can perform:
- Braces are common in youth and adults. They can correct a patient’s alignment by evaluating their bites and working with the patient to resolve the issue at hand.
- Tooth extractions and dental implants may seem scary, but they are common procedures. General dentists may help save damaged teeth and preserve the health of your surrounding teeth during the process. This can help prevent future issues like gum disease, stroke, or even a heart attack.
- Cosmetic dentistry, including teeth whitening and veneers. A veneer can improve the look of teeth by using a strong thin piece of porcelain that are then bonded to the desired tooth. Veneers can improve the look of a patient’s smile without being very costly.
How often should I see a dentist?
Patients of all ages should see their family dentist on a regular basis. Your dentist can make recommendations on how frequently you should visit based on your current dental needs. Some patients will also choose how often to visit their dentist based on their insurance coverage. Different dental services have different recommendations on time between visits, but patients should be visiting the dentist at least once or twice a year for regular cleanings and check-ups, or as needed if they have specific concerns between appointments. More elaborate services such as x-rays need to be completed on a less frequent basis.
If you or your family need oral healthcare, then we encourage you to contact us through our website today. Our goal is simple: to help you smile with confidence. We serve patients from Dallas TX, North Fort Worth TX, Cockrell Hill TX, Love Field TX, Lakewood TX, Claremont TX, Haltom City TX, River Oaks TX, Forest Hill TX, and Handley TX.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Dental Implant
▸ Cosmetic Dentistry
▸ Restorative Dentistry
▸ Family Dentistry
▸ Smile Makeovers
▸ Clear Braces
▸ Sleep Apnea Treatment
▸ Tongue Tie Surgery
▸ Neuromuscular Orthodontics
▸ All-On-4 Treatment Concept
▸ Lip Tie Surgery
▸ Zygomatic Implants
▸ Neuromuscular Dentistry
▸ Gum Graft Treatment