How Do You Diagnose TMJ Disorder?
Stop suffering from chronic facial pain, jaw pain, headaches or earaches. At Beyond Dental & Implant Center, our double board-certified Dr. Cory Nguyen offers comprehensive and specialized care. Contact us today for more information or schedule an appointment online. We are accepting new patients in both our convenient locations in Dallas TX and Fort Worth TX.
Table of Contents:
TMJ pain can make life more difficult. Fortunately, many treatments are available to help you relieve your pain if you are struggling with this. There are natural ways of dealing with pain, medications, and other methods, as well.
Beyond Dental & Implant Center can help you with the treatment of TMJ. We have a dedicated dental staff to help you understand and treat this pain problem.
To diagnose TMJ, a doctor or dentist will talk to you about your symptoms and examine your jaw. They will likely:
• Feel your jaw when you open and close it.
• Listen for any sound that may come when you open and close your mouth.
• Check your jaw for a range of motion.
• Press on areas that normally are painful for a person dealing with TMJ to see if there is pain or discomfort.
If your dentist or doctor suspects a problem, you might need:
• Dental X-rays to examine your jaw and teeth.
• CT scan to get detailed images of the jaw joint.
• MRI may be done to examine soft tissues and the joint’s disc for problems.
A TMJ arthroscopy may be done to diagnose a TMJ disorder. During the arthroscopy, a small thin tube is inserted into the joint space, allowing a small camera to view the area. This can further help in a diagnosis.
There are a few lifestyle changes and active actions you can take to treat TMJ at home. These can ease the pain and help to put less stress on the jaw joint to decrease future pain. These include:
• Eat soft foods – soft food are easier on your jaw because you need to chew less. Less pressure and stress on the jaw joint keep inflammation down.
• Stress management will help – stress is a major factor in TMJ pain. When you are stressed, you will tend to clench your jaw.
• Wear a bite guard – this can prevent grinding of the teeth and reduce the pressure in the jaw joint.
• Limit jaw movements – this is especially important for extreme jaw movements.
• Acupuncture or massage helps – These can relieve the pain from TMJ. Massaging your jaw joint during the day helps to keep the muscles loose and inflammation down.
• Use heat and cold – alternating between heat and cold can reduce the pain and inflammation that comes with TMJ.
The TMJ consultation will be about determining whether you have TMJ and to what extent. It can also be a starting point for determining what course of treatment may work best. This appointment will include:
• Questions about your health history. This helps to determine if there are pre-existing conditions or medications that can cause the pain.
• Questions about your symptoms are important to get a full understanding of what may be the problem. The more the specialist knows the better course of treatment they can recommend.
• A physical evaluation that examines the jaw, head, and neck along with jaw alignment is important to understand.
• X-rays and impressions are often included in the consultation. This is to check on alignment and other issues related to TMJ.
TMJ that is left untreated can create many issues in your daily life. Problems include:
• Chronic jaw pain
• Recurring headaches and migraines
• Jaw joint damage
• Sleep disorders, including insomnia and sleep apnea
• Decreased quality of life caused by pain
• Deteriorating dental health caused by grinding and clenching of your teeth
Beyond Dental & Implant Center provides high-quality dental care that is whole-body, and airway-focused. Dr. Cory Nguyen is double board certified to work with dental implants, and sleep dentistry and can help you find the right course of action for TMJ. Call to make an appointment and find out how we can help. We serve patients from Dallas TX, Fort Worth TX, Cockrell Hill TX, Mesquite TX, Highland Park TX, Forest Hill TX, Saginaw TX, and White Settlement TX.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Dental Implant
▸ Cosmetic Dentistry
▸ Restorative Dentistry
▸ Family Dentistry
▸ Smile Makeovers
▸ Clear Braces
▸ Sleep Apnea Treatment
▸ Tongue Tie Surgery
▸ Neuromuscular Orthodontics
▸ All-On-4 Treatment Concept
▸ Lip Tie Surgery
▸ Zygomatic Implants
▸ Pterygoid Implants
▸ Neuromuscular Dentistry
▸ Gum Graft Treatment